Recipe by lucy k.
My MIL is the best cook I know, and I got this recipe from her. This can be served with potatoes, rice or beans, but we like it best on kaiser buns with cheddar cheese. This makes great leftovers, and freezes well too.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup water
- 3 lbs boneless lean pork roast, well trimmed (leg or loin)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make barbecue sauce, heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and cook gently until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, sugar, worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, mustard and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes, or until sauce is about as thick as ketchup.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and/or hot pepper sauce if necessary.
- Rub pork with 1 cup sauce.
- Place in roasting pan, add 1 cup water, cover and cook in preheated 325 degree oven for 3 hours.
- Remove roast from pan.
- Skim fat from juices in pan.
- Combine 1/2 cup defatted juices with reserved barbecue sauce and place in casserole dish.
- Slice or shred pork and add to sauce.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.