Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Copied years ago. Source unknown.
- 4 lbs chicken, cut into 6-8 pieces
Southern Barbecue Sauce
- 11 1⁄2 ounces tomato puree
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a saucepan, combine tomato puree,cider vinegar, canola oil, Worchestershie, brown sugar mustard, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and continue cooking over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Let stand 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Heat barbecue to moderate and oil the grill bars.
- Lightly sear chicken pieces on all sides, about 2 minutes on each side, remove to a plate.
- Place half the sauce in a small pan and place by the barbecue.
- Place a sheet of silicon baking paper over the bars and prick at intervals between the runs to allow ventilation.
- Place the chicken onto the baking paper and brush sauce over chicken.
- Cover barbecue with lid and cook for 5 minutes, lift lid, brush chicken with sauce, close lid and cook 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process every 5 minutes for 40-45 minutes until chicken is a rich brown in color and cooked through.
- Serve chicken with the hot sauce and jacket potatoes cooked on the barbecue.