Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Serve this chicken with the hot sauce and jacket potatoes also cooked on the grill. All you need is a green salad for a complete dinner.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut up (6-8 pieces)
Southern Barbecued Sauce
- 11 1⁄2 ounces tomato puree
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 ounces brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons French mustard
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a saucepan, combine tomato puree, cider vinegar, canola oil, Worcestershire, brown sugar, mustard, garlic and lemon juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Let stand for 1 hour to cool and allow flavors to blend.
- Heat barbecue to a moderate heat and oil the bars.
- Lightly sear the chicken pieces on all sides over direct heat, about 2 minutes each side,.
- Remove to a plate.
- Place half the sauce in a small pan and place by the barbecue.
- Place a sheet of silicon paper over the bars and prick at intervals between the runs to allow ventilation.
- Place the chicken onto the baking paper and brush all pieces with the sauce.
- Cover the barbecue with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process every 5 minutes for 40-45 minutes until chicken is rich brown in color and cooked through.
- If chicken is cooking too fast lower heat.
- Heat remaining sauce in a small saucepan on the barbecue.