Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
"This down-home banana bread recipe features pecans and bananas in both the bread and the topping. No one can resist a freshly baked slice."
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- additional chopped pecans
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in eggs. Blend in bananas and vanilla. Add flour alternately with buttermilk. Fold in pecans. Pour into two greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For topping, combine bananas, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; spread over loaves. Sprinkle with pecans.