Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Recipe for SE NC Pulled Pork Sandwiches. This is a vinegar based BBQ with a little bite to it.
Make and share this Southeastern North Carolina Pulled Pork recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -5 lbs boneless pork roast (Boston Butt is recommended)
- true se nc barbecue sauce (True Southeastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup new mexico chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients for the rub together until well blended.
- Rub on the pork roast.
- Allow to stand 30 minutes before cooking.
- Place pork roast in a baking pan, add about 1/4 cup water and cover tightly.
- Bake slowly (250 F- 300 F) for 4 to 5 hours, or until the meat is tender enough to"pull" with a fork.
- Shred the meat and then add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of recipe number 51595, True Southeastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce.
- Stir through the meat until absorbed (you don't want sauce standing in the bottom of the dish, as it can become quite strong in flavor).
- Serve with hush puppies and coleslaw (I recommend Chia's Cole Slaw recipe#47606).
- If making pulled pork sandwiches, just put the pork on a hamburger bun, with some coleslaw that has been flavored with mustard.
this is without a doubt one of the best new things i've made in a long time! i've eaten enough pulled pork but never even thought of making it until i saw your recipe. i had the butcher cut it for me since it wasn't on the shelf, and got 5 lbs. made the rub in the morning, massaged it in, took a shower, put it in the 300 oven with 3/4c water- i was nervouse in case it boiled down. went to work, came home, lowered the heat to 200, made the sauce. to die for-
Great rub for pulled pork! We made the bbq sauce suggested and cooked the roast in the crock pot. It gave the meat a nice flavor, but it was too vinegary for us to eat on its own. We made crusty hoagie rolls (Pammy's Hoagies) from scratch and dipped them in the extra sauce. Fabulous!