Chef #573036's Note:
From Gourmet magazine (Oct 08). I have not tried this but it looked very promising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, divided (do not stir)
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons thai kitchen red curry paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick (2- to 3-inch)
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach (5 cups packed)
- 1 tablespoon asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup roasted salted cashews, chopped
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté squash with cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 2Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet and cook onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk from top of can and cook, stirring, until fat starts to separate and look glossy, about 2 minutes. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 3Add squash, water, cinnamon, cloves, and remaining coconut milk and simmer, covered, until squash is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook, covered, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce. Sprinkle with cashews.
- 4Serve with:
- 5jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southeast Asian Squash Curry
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.2
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste