Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Whole Health M.D. recipe sure to please. "or slightly tarter flavor use a total of 2/3 cup lime juice. This dish is not very "hot," so if you want more spice, boost the chili-garlic paste to 2 teaspoons. If chili-garlic paste is not available, finely minced pickled jalapenos can be substituted."
- 6 Japanese eggplants (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup extra- light olive oil
- 4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 limes, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into four equal pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into scant 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- In large bowl, stir together oil, turmeric, and 1/3 cup cold water until turmeric is dissolved. Add eggplant and toss until lightly coated on all sides. Place slices on nonstick broiler pan.
- Broil 4 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side until eggplant is just cooked and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine onion, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, chili-garlic paste, and salt. Add eggplant and toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.