Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to make regional variation
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes (stewed diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (personal taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Saute garlic and onions with cumin, salt, & pepper.
- Add rice and brown. It should take 2-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add chili powder; stir well.
- Add undrained Ro-tel tomatoes. Let sit on heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, bring to boil, reduce to good simmer, cover, and cook 17-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir, cover, and let sit 5 minutes.
This was so easy and tastes just great. This is a keeper recipe. Thanks!
Very tasty and quick to fix! Used a 10 oz. can of Rotel, no other changes. Thanks for sharing your recipe!