1/1 Photo of South Texas Ratatouille
Awesome Texas style ratatouille! Great served over rice or pasta, with lamb or beef, also great on it's own!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut sticks, 1/4 x 1/4 inch x 2 inches
- 1 small zucchini, cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches
- 1 small chayote, peeled and cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches (or pattypan squash)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches (if you can't find jicama, try water chestnuts)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into sticks, 1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches
- 10 whole canned tomatoes, from the can drained
- 1 small poblano chile, seeded and cut into sticks (1/4 x 14 inch x 2 inches, you do not need to roast or remove skin)
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped fresh herb (try a mix of flat-leaf parsley, basil, cilantro, and Mexican oregano sprigs)
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil over high heat for about 1 minute, being careful not to burn.
- 2Add garlic and cook until very light brown, stirring to keep from burning. Add eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chayote and jícama and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add peppers and poblano and cook for 3-5 minutes. Finally, add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If you like, cook a little longer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Add in herbs, reserving some to scatter around serving on plate.
- 4To serve, place on plates and top with basil leaves.This is good on rice or pasta. Garnish plates with sprigs of parsley or cilantro.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Texas Ratatouille
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.4
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole canned tomatoes