Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Boiled dinners like this one provide a hearty meal for Nova Scotia fishermen.
- 1 lb salt cod fish
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, diced
- 8 carrots, halved
- 1 small turnip, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled
- 4 small onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 hardboiled egg, sliced
- Cover salt cod with cold water and soak over night.
- Drain and cover with fresh water.
- Bring to simmer.
- Drain, taste and repeat if cod is too salty.
- Drain well and keep warm.
- In skilet fry salt pork until crisp (these are called scrunchions) and set aside.
- Cook vegetables until tender.
- Prepare whit sauce by melting butter ,adding flour and salt and stir together until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook stirring constantly until thick.
- Arrange salt cod on heated platter.
- Arrange vegetables around fish.
- Pour white sauce over fish.
- Garnish with egg slices and scrunchions.