Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute. Cooking time may be more or less than stated.
- 450 g onions, chopped
- 300 ml raspberry vinegar
- 300 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (432 g) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 50 g sultanas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 450 g demerara sugar
- 25 g sliced almonds
- Gently cook the onion in the vinegars for 5 minutes.
- Add the mangoes, pineapple with juice, ginger, spices and lime juice and cook until soft - about 45-60 minutes.
- Add the sultanas and salt and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook until reduced and the mixture has a jam-like consistency.
- Add almonds and stir.
- Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal down.
- Allow jars to cool before labeling.
- Store 6-8 weeks before using.