Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I was playing in the kitchen again and this was the creation. My hubby loves it and I can't go home to my family's house without them hounding me to make it....thank goodness it's easy!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (46 ounce) canof 100% pineapple juice
- 2 (12 ounce) cans frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks
- 2 large onions
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large orange bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) box instant rice
- In a large bowl combine pineapple juice, orange juice, and 3 tablespoons of the ground ginger.
- Put 1/2 of the liquid in a large zipper seal bag (or split it in two bags if need be). Reserve rest of liquid in bowl or other covered container.
- Rinse chicken and pierce with a fork in several places of each breast. Place chicken in zipper bag(s)and refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight (I prefer overnight).
- Drain the mandarin oranges and put in container with reserved liquid, cover and marinate for the same amount of time as the chicken.
- Chop peppers and onion.
- When ready to cook, place chicken in bottom of crock pot, discard the marinade. Layer the onions and peppers on chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pineapple chunks and add fruit to crock pot. Add UNDRAINED crushed pineapple to crock pot as well as the mandarin oranges WITH the liquid.
- Set crock pot to HIGH and cook 6-8 hours, depending on when the chicken is done.
- When ready to serve cook rice according to package directions and serve chicken with sauce over the rice. ENJOY!
I rarely give bad reviews but this recipe was ungodly sweet. There was no balance whatsoever, it was just all sweetness. Maybe if you would add some onion soup mix or something to cut the taste, it might work but I don't think I'll be trying it again. I also agree with kvbodens review that this should definitely be halved. I halved it and it barely fit into my 6 qt (I think it's a 6 qt) crock pot. Sorry to trash your recipe, but it was wicked.
I just finished dumping my left-overs down the garbage disposal. Nope, we didn't like this one much at all. I was able to choke it down the first round, but couldn't bear the thought of it a second time, hence two only stars. BTW, if you do decide to try this recipe, make sure you use a large crock pot or only make half. My crockpot ended up being too small.