Recipe by G'ma Peg SLC
This recipe evolved from a magazine recipe for all-you-can-eat soup. The additions have raised the calorie content, but make for a more-satisfying soup. When serving, I like to add crushed tortilla chips and/or diced avacado for added flavor.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
I thoroughly enjoyed this healthy and easy-to-make soup. I made minor changes. Doubled the garlic, used chicken stock in place of water and bouillon cube, and added extra cabbage. Taco sauce and lima beans replaced the two ingredients that are not easily found in Australia. Topped it all off with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro (coriander). Heaven on a spoon! Made and reviewed for Pick a Chef. From one Peg to another -- Many thanks.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 3⁄4 lb cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup enchilada sauce (optional, Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained (black beans good, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-6 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add Carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with liquid, water, cabbage, cumin, bouillon cube, salt, pepper, and enchilada sauce (optional). Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables become tender. Add more seasoning, if desired.
- Add frozen corn and drained beans. Cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- Finished soup can be divided into smaller containers to freeze.