Top Review by Bergy
This is a great blend of spices and flavors- enjoyed by all and to my surprise the flank steak was tender , I sauted it for apprx 30 minutes (I am usually not a big fan of Flank steak as I find the meat to be a tougher cut) When I make it next time I will increase the garlic and chili but that is just a personal taste preference - Good luck in the contest with this excellent recipe
- 1 (2 lb) flank steaks, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 to 6 equal portions (cut number depends on the size of your steak)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, of your choice, diced and seeded (see Note)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb freshly sliced mushrooms
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, diced into cubes
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lb linguine
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the cuts of steak you have made and place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to thin them out.
- Don't pound too thin, or meat will tear.
- In a large skillet, in the butter or olive oil, sauté the garlic, onion, chili pepper, green pepper, mushrooms and black olives over medium- heat until vegetables soften and onions become translucent.
- Add the cubed cream cheese, and stir constantly until cheese melts and mixture comes together.
- Take off the heat and cool slightly.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon vegetable cheese mixture down the center of each cut of steak.
- Roll up jellyroll style and secure with toothpicks.
- In a skillet, sauté steak rolls in a little oil or butter on all sides till brown over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the tomato sauce, cinnamon, cumin, and cocoa powder. Pour over steak rolls in skillet.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low for 15-20 minutes until sauce thickens somewhat and meat is cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook linguini according to package directions.
- Drain, and place onto a large serving platter.
- Place steak rolls over pasta, pour sauce over rolls and pasta.
- Sprinkle with the reserved shredded cheese.
- NOTE: It's best to wear plastic gloves when cutting chili peppers; avoid contact with face or eyes.