Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my very old Betty Crocker recipe file box. It was in the 'Outdoor Entertaining' section. I'm posting it exactly as written,per a request, but I don't know exactly what they mean by '1 envelope of meat marinade' which is critical to this recipe. There are numerous marinade recipes on this site,so if it were me, I'd look for one that would compliment / enhance the Mexican flavor, unless you can easily find the meat marinade envelope called for. Cook time does not include marinating time for the steak.
- 2 lbs beef round steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) envelopeinstant meat marinade
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- chili pepper (optional)
- potato chips (optional)
- Score each side of meat 1/8 inch deep in diamond shaped pattern.
- Prepare marinade as directed on envelope, and stir in catsup, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper sauce.
- Marinate meat as directed on envelope, remove meat and reserve marinade.
- Heat beans in foilware pan 15-20 minutes on side of grill. About 5 minutes before serving, sprinkle with cheese.
- Place meat on grill, about 2 inches from hot coals. Cook about 5 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness, brushing with reserved marinade.
- Cut beef into serving sizes, and serve with spoonfuls of beans, chili peppers and potato chips.
- Note: You can use your choice of steak.