Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve with jalapeno corn muffins.
Make and share this South of the Border Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- about 2/3 cup fresh salsa (hot or mild)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed, spin dried and torn into bite size pieces
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips, broken or 2 cups corn tortilla strips
- 1⁄2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- For the Dressing: Combine mayonnaise, catsup and salsa in a small bowl. Adjust amounts to taste. Add chopped avocado and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss olives, bell pepper, beans. lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, cucumber and optional ingredients, if using.
- Pour salsa dressing with avocado over salad and toss well.
- Add tortilla chips and cheese; toss again or can add to top of individual servings. Serve immediately.