Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Veggies, beans and cheese turn boring white rice into a dish filled with flavor.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 4 oz.divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- hot pepper sauce, optional
- Preheat broiler, coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- In skillet heat oil.
- Add next 7 ingredients, cook, stirring until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil, stir in rice.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in beans& 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover, let stand 5 minutes, then transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot pepper sauce if desired.
Very flavorful and colorful. Nice side dish with a Mexican meal.
This was great! I used brown rice, so it took a bit longer to cook. Next time I may try the white rice. I also used a whole can of tomatoes, rather than one medium tomato, and we really liked how juicy the extra tomatoes made this dish. And I used a lot more cheese than called for -- we really like things cheesy! Next time I would probably increase the cilantro, too. There will definitely be a next time for this dish -- it's a keeper!
I thought this was excellent and SO easy! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I wouldn't change a thing!