Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
This came from Cooking for 2 magazine, one of my first OAMC recipes!! This makes two pies. It's also meat-free, if you're a vegan that eats eggs and milk, this will work for you too. All the stuff I like so I can't wait to try it, since I'm just getting started with OAMC.
Top Review by windhorse23
My family really gobbled this up. I made one with a regular frozen pie crust and skipped all the pre-cooking steps, just threw the ingredients in the crust and baked it, and that worked fine. I made the other crust less. It was a little strange to put the cumin and chili powder in an empty pie plate, but it came out fine, too. Directions were good. Serving size was a bit confusing though. Overall, an excellent recipe.
- 2 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) sliced black olives, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the unpricked pie crusts with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes; remove foil and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin over the shells. Combine the cheeses and divide evenly into the shells.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, chilies, olives, onions, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Pour over the cheese.
- Cover and freeze up to three months.
- To prepare a quiche immediately: Cover the edges of the crust with foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
- To prepare the frozen quiche: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover the edges of the pie shell loosely with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let stand for 10 minutes before baking.