Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe won the Grand Prize at the Got Leche Cook-Off in Sacramento, California. Recipe courtesy Jan Shelton.
Top Review by CulinaryQueen
Photo Tag 2007 ~ Really enjoyed this, but I did make a couple of changes. As I wanted some protein in this (ie: meat) I browned some cubed boneless chicken breasts. I thought I had peas in the freezer, but alas, there were none :shock: so had to use corn in place of that. I also left out the avocado as they are not so good here this time of year. Would like to try this again with the avocado. It had a nice creamy consistency and great flavor. Thanks CD!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, finely chipped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas or 1⁄2 cup canned peas
- 3 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large avocado, diced into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, but not browned. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add chicken broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add potatoes, saffron, pepper and salt. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of hot soup to cream cheese mixture, beating constantly to avoid curdling. Add cream cheese mixture to soup and heat through (do not boil).
- Divide avocado among serving bowls.
- Pour soup over avocado. Garnish with cilantro to serve.