Recipe by Bec
From a vegetarian cookbook of mine. The beans, rice, eggs, and cheese provide the protein while chili powder and cumin provide the kick! Serve this with a simple tossed salad.
Top Review by argon_man
Very good, my significant other even asked for more. I reduced the fat and cholesterol to nearly zero by using skim milk, non-fat cheese and egg-beaters. The other thing I liked about this recipe is its flexibility to add additional ingredients ie; chopped jalapenos, white corn, green pepper etc. Well done.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- chopped green pepper (optional)
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Cook for 1 minutes more.
- Stir in beans, cooked rice, cheese, milk, and eggs.
- Spray a 10-inch pie place or quiche dish with nonstick coating.
- Spoon mixture into pie place and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or till center is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with green pepper and serve with salsa.