Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a vegetarian cookbook of mine. The beans, rice, eggs, and cheese provide the protein while chili powder and cumin provide the kick! Serve this with a simple tossed salad.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- chopped green pepper (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- In a saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Cook for 1 minutes more.
- Stir in beans, cooked rice, cheese, milk, and eggs.
- Spray a 10-inch pie place or quiche dish with nonstick coating.
- Spoon mixture into pie place and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or till center is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with green pepper and serve with salsa.
Very good, my significant other even asked for more. I reduced the fat and cholesterol to nearly zero by using skim milk, non-fat cheese and egg-beaters. The other thing I liked about this recipe is its flexibility to add additional ingredients ie; chopped jalapenos, white corn, green pepper etc. Well done.
I made the recipe as posted and followed reviewers suggestion for toppings and provided tomatoes, onions, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. This was very good and the toppings allowed everyone at dinner to customize the dish to their own tastes. This dish also reheats well the next day and I generally dislike leftovers. Thanks for posting this nice change from just red beans and rice.
This is an excellent recipe. My whole family loved it. Was great for the next day's lunch as well. Next time I think I'll use brown rice to make it even healthier. Thanks!