Recipe by Montana-GemBob
A great casserole recipe with that "South of the Border taste". Recipe adapted from the 1977 Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorite Casserole Recipes.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 -6 hot dogs
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and green pepper in butter til tender but not brown.
- Cut Hot Dogs into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir into skillet along with beans, corn, tomato sauce,olives, garlic, sugar, chili powder and a dash of pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, til thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Add cheese. Stir until melted.
- Turn misture into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Place 2 cups cold water in a sauce pan. Stir in corn meal and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cook and stir until very thick (1/2 to 1 minute after mixture comes to a boil).
- Spoon over the hot mixture forming a lattice design.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.