Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a spin off of my dad's old "goulash" recipe. I've been making this for ages and recently a friend told me I needed to post it on Zaar. So simple, savory and yes satisfying. I added green chilies and some garlic and a secret ingredient ..... shhhh don't tell the family, I used salsa ;) They love it so here it is. *favorite*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb ground beef (75% to 80% lean)
- 1 -2 dash garlic salt, to taste
- 1 -2 dash onion powder, to taste
- 3 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- warm flour tortilla
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Sautee onion and garlic in oil just until fragrant. Push to the side of the skillet and add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in potatoes. Season with garlic salt and onion powder. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa and chilies; continue cooking 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve with Flour tortillas!
Great meal! We don't get hash potatoes here, so had to make do with boiled, cubed potatoes and made up for it by using chorizo sausage meat, not mince. Works well!
Since I have had the pleasure of having this made by the chef herself, I can say this is seriously tasty comfort food anytime. :) Perfect as is (Man do I LOVE green chilies) though I'll never turn down sour cream. LOL. Thanks for posting another of your yummy recipes V!!
This was soooo good and soooo easy. I will make this often as I always have the ingredients on hand and it seems to me to be the base of endless possibilities.... I'm thinking pepped bacon and sour cream. Thank you so much for your goodness and sharing.