Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 limes, juice of or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup reposado tequila (or flat 7-Up)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Heat garlic in olive oil.
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour garlic oil into slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
In one word, SUPERB! The chicken fell to pieces so it was more like a Southwestern chicken stew. I added a few chopped jalepeno's. I also thickened the broth with a little corn starch and served with spanish rice. Even my boyfriend, who hardly utters more than "it was okay" when he is asked how supper was, said "this is really good!" Coming from him, that is huge! Thanks for such a great recipe.
Made this recipe exactly as directed last Sunday and followed a review suggestion of using broth for the rice. The rice turned out terrible! NEVER before has jasmine rice so disappointed me so I wouldn't recommend that part at all. The chicken itself was pretty good (though quite hot for those who don't like their food burning their tongues) but hubby was quite ambivalent about it anyway. "It's okay" said he with a shrug. Never one to be chinzy about rave reviews, he did not give this a "keeper" rating and I probably won't make this one again.
This dish was absolutely delicious. I made this with Green Chili Rice (#28755) and refried beans. The family loved it. Next time I’m going to try using the sauce as a marinade and injecting it in a whole chicken and then roasting the chicken. It should be tantalizing either way!