Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a one-dish-meal: a couscous-based salad with black beans and corn, seasoned with cumin, cilantro, and lime for a Tex-Mex flair. Jalapenos are optional. Times are approximate.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil
- In medium saucepan, combine water, cumin, and salt. Bring to boil.
- Add in couscous. Stir. Return to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to medium bowl. Fluff with fork and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Fold into the couscous: the beans, corn, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno (if using).
- Add in the lime juice and oil. Test for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and additional lime juice as desired.
Very good. I used kidney beans instead of black beans (I just didn't have any) and vidalias instead of red onion. Also, I didn't use the jalapenos; my garlic oil is really spicy, so this had a good amount of heat. I added a small tomato, seeded and diced, but this salad would be equally as nice without it. I'll be making this salad often in the summer. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for sharing this great recipe. We make couscous salad a lot and this was a really tasty way of making it. I forgot to soak my black beans so I used kidney beans instead. I also added some vegetable stock to the couscous when cooking for extra flavour (I always do this) and I added a clove of minced garlic, as I had to make up for just having normal olive oil. The lime juice adds a lovely fresh taste to it. I did use the optional jalapeno and also added a little freshly ground black pepper at the very end. This is a keeper. :D