This is a one-dish-meal: a couscous-based salad with black beans and corn, seasoned with cumin, cilantro, and lime for a Tex-Mex flair. Jalapenos are optional. Times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil
- 1In medium saucepan, combine water, cumin, and salt. Bring to boil.
- 2Add in couscous. Stir. Return to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- 3Transfer to medium bowl. Fluff with fork and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 4Fold into the couscous: the beans, corn, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno (if using).
- 5Add in the lime juice and oil. Test for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and additional lime juice as desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South of the Border Couscous Salad (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.9
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 296.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat couscous