Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great recipe that's easy to make and tasty. Great for fall and winter weather. I cut this from the newspaper many years ago (I find many of my favorite recipes came from a newspaper, though I don't collect them anymore). Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 cups hash browns, Southern Style or potatoes cut ~ 3/8-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 7 ounces green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- bacon bits, or cooked, crumbled bacon
- cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Saute onion, garlic, and potatoes until lightly browned.
- Add everything except corn, bacon, and half-and-half.
- Cook covered 5 minutes.
- Add corn and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add half-and-half.
- Mix in a dollop of sour cream and cheese if you like (I love it as is).
- Garnish with bacon bits or crumbled bacon.
- May throw in some crushed tortilla chips of Fritos as well.
- Note: I use a heaping measures of garlic, cumin, and chili powder for extra flavor.