Chef TanyaW's Note:
A great recipe that's easy to make and tasty. Great for fall and winter weather. I cut this from the newspaper many years ago (I find many of my favorite recipes came from a newspaper, though I don't collect them anymore). Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 cups hash browns, Southern Style or potatoes cut ~ 3/8-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 7 ounces green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- bacon bits, or cooked, crumbled bacon
- cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 1Saute onion, garlic, and potatoes until lightly browned.
- 2Add everything except corn, bacon, and half-and-half.
- 3Cook covered 5 minutes.
- 4Add corn and cook 5 more minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and add half-and-half.
- 6Mix in a dollop of sour cream and cheese if you like (I love it as is).
- 7Garnish with bacon bits or crumbled bacon.
- 8May throw in some crushed tortilla chips of Fritos as well.
- 9Note: I use a heaping measures of garlic, cumin, and chili powder for extra flavor.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South-Of-The-Border Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 1144.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 13.0 g