Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You would never know there was beets in these bars.You may freeze with waxed paper in between the layers.Moist and good! A snack to serve with coffee or tea or milk. Option:Chocolate Mocha Bars included.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pureed beets
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules (optional)
- powdered sugar
- Pam cooking spray
- Wash raw beets, peel, cut in chunks and puree in blender.
- Mix eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and beets in large mixing bowl.
- In small bowl pour anise seeds. Add fat free half and half. Mix. Set aside. Steep.
- In mixing bowl add flour salt, baking soda and baking powder and cocoa. Mix well.
- Add 1/3 mixed dry ingredients to egg mixture, add 1/3 mixed half & half. Mix.
- Repeat two times until all ingredients are blended.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Spray Pam on two jelly roll sheets or two raised sides cookie sheets.
- Spread evenly in both pans. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes. Press in the middle of the pan to see if batter will spring back up. When it does, it is done. Do not overcook.
- Cool.Cut in bars. Sprinkle powdered sugar and cinnamon is optional.
- Note: If you want chocolate mocha as a flavor: add 1 tblsp instant coffee with the cocoa.