Recipe by Sharon123
Croutons perfect to dress up a salad, use for stuffing, eat for a snack, sprinkle over soups, even potatoes! If you like a little heat, add some red pepper flakes!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, only if you want some heat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread cubes (approximately 3/4 to 1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes if using, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl, and drizzle the oil over cubes. Stir until cubes are coated with oil. Sprinkle cubes with cheese and the amount of seasoning desired. Store unused seasoning mixture in a re-sealable container for future use.
- Spread seasoned croutons in a single layer on a 15 x 11-inch baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until cubes are dried, stirring occasionally. Cool on baking sheet.
- Store in plastic, re-sealable bag.