Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm not sure where I got this recipe (probably from a magazine), but it was in my "to try" binder and I made it tonight - husband and I LOVED it and each had 2 bowls. We served it with corn bread on the side. It has a kick in it from the chili powder...very delicious! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 " strips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Heat oil in large skillet; add tortilla strips and fry, stirring constantly, until golden. Drain on paper-towel lined plate.
- Add onion and green peppers to skillet; cook and stir until soft.
- Add garlic and stir in flour; gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Add remaining ingredients (except tortilla strips) and cook until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle with tortilla strips before serving.
This was very good - my husband loved it! I enjoyed it, as well, but I felt that a little something was missing...perhaps it was just not quite spicy enough for me (I like my food really spicy :-), so I will try and spice it up a bit next time. However, it was very tasty and easy to make, just as written, with easy to follow recipe steps. This is a nice soup to serve, especially once the weather gets cool...filling, tasty, and satisfying!