Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Spicy grilled chicken sandwiches (or you can broil), with pepper-jack cheese and a spicy mayo to give it a little kick. Perfect for weekend meals!
For the Spicy Mayo
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
For the Sandwiches
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices red onions (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (optional)
- Pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine oil and juice in a resealable ziplock bag.
- Add chicken and marinate 4-6 hours.
- Combine ingredients for Spicy Mayo (mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, tomato paste, lime juice, and orange juice) until smooth.
- Chill for several 2-3 hours before making sandwiches to blend flavors.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Grill or broil chicken 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once while cooking.
- Remove chicken from heat and place cheese on chicken while it is very hot.
- Butter cut sides of rolls and grill or toast until lightly golden and crisp.
- Place chicken (with cheese), lettuce, tomato, red onion, a dallop of southwest mayo, and sprinkle about a tablespoon of chopped cilantro on each sandwich and top with upper portion of each roll.
- Serve hot.