Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy and family pleasing casserole that's on the table in less than 45 minutes. I serve this with a guacamole salad, or a green salad with slices of avocado.
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add onion and jalapeno (if using) and cook with meat until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Layer one-third of meat mixture, cheese and one half of tortillas in casserole dish; repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- Note: Corn tortillas will soften and absorb the sauce.
- These are recommended.
- Flour tortillas will expand and the casserole will be too doughy-therefore flour tortillas are not recommended.
i have made this recipe twice and we just love it for a quick dinner when everyone is on a different schedule, the flavors get stronger as it sits. i made it as written the first time, and used chili i had made the second time, both times it was great, this is easily adaptable and delicious family fare
My family and especially the kids loved your casserole. It was easy to prepare so I was happy. I added a couple a chopped garlic cloves to the meat mixture and used 1/2 of a jalapeno--because of the kids. Made a nice family meal. Thanks Pan Nan.
Very easy for a weeknight dinner! I used 2tsp of Aussie chili powder for a nice spicy dish. Served with a salad and sour cream, thanks for posting!