1/1 Photo of South Mexican Frijoles De Olla
4 hrs 10 mins
Leah's Kitchen's Note:
Fijoles de Olla simply means pot beans.This recipe uses ingredients more commonly used in the south of Mexico. A delicious and comforting blend of old world and Mexican ingredients. The flavors seem to meld together in a very balanced and satisfying way. It goes great as a side or by itself or in tortillas. I used pinto beans but you can use any beans you like. You can cook it on the stove top or in the crock pot. I find it easier and less distracting to do it in the crock pot. As a final note the chorizo is optional and not a part of the original recipe.enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans or 1 lb pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon oil
Last hour of cooking
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 -2 sprig epazote or 2 teaspoons dried epazote
- 1 whole chipotle chili
- 1/2 guajillo chili or 1/2 ancho chili, toasted, seeded, and torn into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin, toasted
- 2 -3 bay leaves, toasted
- 2 -3 avocado leaves (I used anise ) or 2 -3 a generous pinch ground aniseed (I used anise )
- 1 -2 hoja santa (I didn't add this since I couldn't find it)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Mexican oregano, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, crumbled (opt*)
- 1Place rinsed and sorted beans in a slow cooker and cover with about 3 inches of water.
- 2Add onion, and lard/oil.
- 3Cook on medium high until beans are soft and it has thickened somewhat and turned lighter in color. (This can take any where from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours depending on the beans you are using and the altitude.).
- 4Add the salt, and remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- 5Turn down heat and continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Beans should be soft and creamy and broth should be thicker by now.
- 6Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Mexican Frijoles De Olla
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 819.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: