2 hrs 30 mins
Missy Wright's Note:
Growing up in Louisiana, My momma called her version of this the poor mans gumbo. I have taken the liberty to make a few changes, such as using boneless-skinless chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken. Be careful with the Roux, if it burns you best start all over. It will get smoky in the kitchen, so be sure to open a few windows. This recipe takes some time but it is well worth it. If you have any left overs, this is something that is better the second day. Freezes well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Roux
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 hot peppers, diced (any hot peppers will work, I use jalapenos)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- hot sauce (optional)
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb beef smoked sausage, sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1For the Roux.
- 2Heat bacon grease in large skillet.
- 3Add flour when melted.
- 4The mixture should be liquidy, If not add a bit more bacon grease.
- 5Stir mixture constantly over a med-high heat, be careful not to scorch.
- 6Stir until the mixture is the color of peanut butter.
- 7For Gumbo.
- 8Add chopped vegetables to roux in skillet, stir and allow to cook until onions are clear.
- 9Meanwhile in a large sauce pan, warm 3 cans of broth.
- 10Once onions are clear, stir in one can of broth, stir until smooth.
- 11Add roux mixture to saucepan of broth.
- 12Use the roux skillet for the chicken,cook sausage and chicken until chicken is no longer pink, add to broth.
- 13Pour the 2 remaining cans of broth into the skillet, bring to a boil, stirring, cleaning the remaining roux and the flavors from the skillet.
- 14Add skillet broth to sauce pan.
- 15Stir in Cajun seasonings and bouillon.
- 16Let simmer on low for 2 hours.
- 17Serve over cooked white rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Louisiana Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (No Okra!)
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.6 mg
- Sodium 1493.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 31.4 g