Recipe by Member #610488
This spice mixture is used in southern Indian cooking to season vegetable and lentil combination, braised dishes and spicy broths.
- 10 small dried chilies
- 6 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons Urad Dal (white split gram beans)
- 2 teaspoons channa dal (yellow split peas)
- 2 teaspoons mung dal (yellow mung beans)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Deseed the chilies and take off any stalks.
- Heat a frying pan and add the first five ingredients.
- Toss together over a medium heat until they give off a rich aroma then empty into a bowl.
- Repeat the process with the beans, toasting them without burning them.
- Mix the spices and the beans together and grind to a fine powder in a grinder. Stir in the turmeric.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight jar away from light for no longer than 1 month.