Chef #928625's Note:
When you are bored of eating eggs made the same old way....give this unique recipe a try.Add a 1/2 teaspoon roasted ground cumin or 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro to change it up.This recipe is from the Everything Indian Cookbook by Monica Bhide.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 small red onions
- 1 -2 serrano chile chile, minced
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, very finely minced (or grated)
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Prepare all of the ingredients:peel the onions,mince 1/2 of an onion finely and set aside;chop the other onion and set aside.Mince the chiles,leaving the seeds in or de-seeding according to taste.Peel and mince garlic,Grate or finely mince the ginger.Chop the tomatoes the same size as the chopped onion,.
- 2Whisk the eggs until well mixed and frothy.Add the minced onion and serrano chiles.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.Pour in 1/4 of the egg mixture and cook until browned on one side,then flip and cook until done on the other side.Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining egg until all is cooked.
- 4Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium.Add the onion and sautee for 2 minutes.Ad the ginger and garlic,and continue sauteeing,stirring as necessary to prevent burning for about 6 minutes or until the onions are well browned.Add tomatoes and cook another 6 minutes,or until the oils begin to seperate.
- 5Adt he ground spices,salt to taste,and the water.Bring to a boil,cover,and simmer for 8 minutes.
- 6Cut the omelets into strips.Add to the curry and cook only until heated through-only about a minute.Serve hot with bread or rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Indian Omelet Curry
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.1
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 76.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.3 g