Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
When you are bored of eating eggs made the same old way....give this unique recipe a try.Add a 1/2 teaspoon roasted ground cumin or 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro to change it up.This recipe is from the Everything Indian Cookbook by Monica Bhide.
- 1 1⁄2 small red onions
- 1 -2 serrano chile chile, minced
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, very finely minced (or grated)
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Prepare all of the ingredients:peel the onions,mince 1/2 of an onion finely and set aside;chop the other onion and set aside.Mince the chiles,leaving the seeds in or de-seeding according to taste.Peel and mince garlic,Grate or finely mince the ginger.Chop the tomatoes the same size as the chopped onion,.
- Whisk the eggs until well mixed and frothy.Add the minced onion and serrano chiles.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.Pour in 1/4 of the egg mixture and cook until browned on one side,then flip and cook until done on the other side.Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining egg until all is cooked.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium.Add the onion and sautee for 2 minutes.Ad the ginger and garlic,and continue sauteeing,stirring as necessary to prevent burning for about 6 minutes or until the onions are well browned.Add tomatoes and cook another 6 minutes,or until the oils begin to seperate.
- Adt he ground spices,salt to taste,and the water.Bring to a boil,cover,and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Cut the omelets into strips.Add to the curry and cook only until heated through-only about a minute.Serve hot with bread or rice.