Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a yummy medium spicy chicken curry in a thick sauce. I have attempted to modernize it a bit without taking away from the authentic taste, hope you enjoy this as much as DH & I do!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil (I like canola)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup onion, cut in thin long slices
- 5 garlic cloves or 5 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, thin slices or 2 teaspoons crushed gingerroot
- 4 green chilies, slit at one end
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- 1 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 kg skinless chicken, with bone cut up in pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water (or alternatively use 2/3 cup of coconut powder & 1 1/2 cup of water)
- 2 medium potatoes, washed, peeled & cubed
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- chopped fresh coriander, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Mix/Grind coriander, chili, turmeric and pepper together in a bowl - set aside.("A").
- Fry mustard in hot oil and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, chili and curry leaves ("B") till onions are golden.
- Once done - remove onion mixture from oil to another frying pan & add tomatoes and keep over low heat till tomatoes dissolve from their skins.
- Meanwhile in the deep pan, add chicken, vinegar, salt, and spice mixture ("A") - stir for a few minutes . Mix coconut milk & water and add. Cover the pan with lid & cook over med-low heat ("C").
- When the meat is cooked through, add the potatoes. Once the potatoes are half-cooked (about 15 minutes), stir in the tomato-onion mixture from "B" and add the tomato paste.
- Leave uncovered & stir once in awhile. When the potatoes are cooked through & the curry thickens, remove from heat & garnish with chopped coriander & enjoy with jasmine or basmati rice!