Lovely with curries, particularly sea-food, this rice dish from Tamil Nadu is seasoned with lightly roasted coconut, cilantro, curry leaves, dried red chillies, and mustard seeds. It also contains a small amount of chana dal and urad dal, which, when roasted, provide a nutty taste and texture. If you cannot obtain fresh coconut, soak 1 1/4 cups of unsweetened, desiccated coconut in warm water (to barely cover) for 1 hour then drain and squeeze dry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 6 dried red chilies, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons channa dal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 3/4 cups freshly grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Wash the rice well and cook until tender in a rice cooker or by the absorption method.
- 2While the rice is cooking, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a medium-sized pan or skillet, and when hot add the chillies, chana dal, urad dal and mustard seeds. Stir and fry until the chillies darken and the dals turn golden brown.
- 3Add the curry leaves, salt, asafetida and coconut, and stir and fry for a minute or two before reducing heat.
- 4Gently cook the coconut mixture until the coconut turns a toasted reddish-brown and becomes quite crisp. It burns easily, so don't take your eyes off it for a second, and keep the coconut moving by stirring and tossing constantly.
- 5As soon as the coconut is the right colour and texture, turn off the heat. If the rice is not ready, transfer the coconut mixture to a bowl, so that it doesn't continue browning in the hot pan.
- 6Mix the coconut mixture gently through the hot, cooked rice, then stir through the chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Indian Coconut Rice
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.8
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 608.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: