Recipe by KVasanth
My mother-in-law taught me this simple, yet delicious dish. It works well with many different types of cuisines, and currently is the only way I can get my husband to eat cabbage.
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon split Thai green chili (this really is just 1 green chili cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup carrot (cut into sticks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded white cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare chopped red onion and green chili, and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in a large pan. Once oil is hot, put in cumin seeds -these will start to sizzle and pop immediately. When they do, give them a stir and then add in the onion and green chili. Reduce heat to medium and cook mixture until slightly browned.
- Add tumeric to onion mixture and incorporate well.
- Add carrots, and stir well to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage and salt, carefully folding it in so that as much as possible has come in contact with the carrot mixture. Cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage is soft and everything is incorporated. Serve.