Recipe by Sharon123
I wish I'd had this when I was younger growing up in Miami. Vegan and full of flavor. It's all about the flavor! If you don't have spicy hummus, just add a little chipotle in adobe sauce or some sriracha sauce to regular hummus(and maybe a splash of lemon or lime juice to thin it out). For a change try mixing the mayo with a little Thai sweet chili sauce.
Top Review by Annacia
So so good! I skipped the syrup as I didn't find the thought of any sweetness in this appealing (it's a personal thing) and didn't have the sprouts. Everything else went in though to make a pretty and very yummy lunch. No sweat to make, healthy and each bite is a treat. What more could you ask. :D
- 2 extra large wraps (whole wheat or your choice)
- 1⁄2 florida avocado, peeled and sliced into thick strips
- 1 medium yellow tomatoes, sliced thick (or red )
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (or lime)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or more lime juice)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons spicy hummus (or other bean or nut spread)
- 1 cup shredded carrot (or jicama if you have it)
- fresh ground black pepper
- alfalfa sprout (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise is good) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice avocado in half. Rub the extra half with lime juice, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for later use. Remove the pit and slice into long thick strips. Set aside in a bowl and coat in lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice the onion and tomato into thin slices. Place in separate bowl and toss with the extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup, splash of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (or more lemon juice). Warm your tortillas in the oven until they are soft and pliable.
- Spread a nice amount of the hummus onto the wrap.
- Add about 4 long slices of avocado, a few slices of tomato, onion, shredded carrots and a pinch of pepper. You can add an extra splash of the veggie marinade juices (maple/olive oil/lemon) if you'd like. You can add the mayo now(it's good mixed with a little of the veggie marinade juice or use the mayo/veggie juice mix as a dip for the wraps). Add alfalfa sprouts now if using(also good with lentil sprouts).
- Carefully roll up your wrap and fold in a paper towel to make it easier to slice.