Recipe by dk683
This recipe is another one of those which came to me while rummaging about in my cupboard seeing what ingredients I had. This is great served with white rice on a cold winters days.
For the Stock
- 1⁄2 cup cooked shrimp
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced finely
- 1 garlic clove, sliced finely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
For the Rice
- 1⁄4 cup white rice, jasmine of basmati
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Stock:.
- Fry the ginger, garlic, chili and lime zest in the vegetable oil until golden. Put the shrimp in and stir until they have been warmed through. NOTE: If you want, you could buy raw shrimp, cook them in a little oil and then add them to the stock.
- Pour in the lime juice, fish sauce and the stock. Bring this to a simmer, add the scallions.
- Serve in bowls with the cilantro sprinkled on top.
- For the Rice:.
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to the boil, add 1/4 cup of white rice. Bring the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Mix in 1 teaspoons rice vinegar with a wooden spoon or spatula and serve.