Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
We went apple picking last weekend so I was trying to figure out what to do with all these gala apples. I think this recipe is really helpful when you have minimal prep time and/or the apples aren't so firm anymore.
- 6 gala apples
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or all spice)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- Peel, core & slice apples and place into medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla and cinnamon (or all spice) to apples and mix until apples are coated.
- Place apple mixture into 8X8 glass baking dish.
- Soften butter, stir until creamy and place in another bowl.
- Add flour and brown sugar until mixture looks like little peas.
- Cover apples with flour mixture making sure apples are coated.
- Place uncovered baking dish onto lower oven rack.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 50-55 minutes (or until corners are dark brown & crispy).
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or espresso.
This was excellent. Thanks
The spices are just perfect and we loved this dessert. I only used the 1/2 c of sugar in the apple mixture and thought that was just right for us. I did have trouble getting the top to brown up so I dotted on a bit more butter and turned the heat up to 350F for 15 minutes more. Perfect! Made for Spring Pick A Chef 2011. Thx southcitygal!
Oh boy, this was so good! My husband just went on and on about it. He said it was one of the top 3 desserts I have EVER made! The only way it could have been any better is if I had had some vanilla ice cream to go with it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Made for Pick A Chef, Spring 2011.