Recipe by Hal Taylor
Sweet and tangy ribs that are a little spicy and some of my friends say are the ultimate! From Ted Reader's book, "Sticky Fingers and Tenderloins". Used with his permission.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby back ribs (about 4 racks)
- 2 tablespoons your favourite your favorite barbecue rub
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 2 cups orange juice
- yellow barbecue sauce
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern on the backside of the ribs.
- Rub with BBQ rub pressing into the meat.
- Lay ribs meat side down in a roasting pan.
- Lay 3 or 4 slices of orange on the back of each slab.
- Pour in orange juice.
- Cover tightly with lid or foil and braise for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes or until reduced by one-third.
- Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Let cool.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill ribs for 6 to 8 minutes per side, basting with sauce.
- Cut between every third rib and serve.