Recipe by Bri22
I lived in Greenville SC for about 2 years and my best friend that I made down there has a mother who in my opinion baked up some of the best tasting cakes and cookies you ever had! This is one of them.
Top Review by Ms*Bindy
I'm sorry we didn't like this. It was heavy as a rock. Despite that enormous amount of baking powder, it didn't really rise much at all. And the biscuit taste was very bitter. I have to wonder if the amount of baking powder is correct in this recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- hot butter (for spreading)
- fresh strawberries, sliced, sweetened to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- cut butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender until you have fine crumbs.Gradually add milk until crumbs are moistened.
- Place dough on floured bread board and pat into two large cakes.
- Stack one on top of the other.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in 450* oven 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Split cake in half and spread bottom half with hot butter. Replace top and mound over with fresh strawberries. Cut cake in wedges and serve with thick cream.