Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I lived in Greenville SC for about 2 years and my best friend that I made down there has a mother who in my opinion baked up some of the best tasting cakes and cookies you ever had! This is one of them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- hot butter (for spreading)
- fresh strawberries, sliced, sweetened to taste
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- cut butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender until you have fine crumbs.Gradually add milk until crumbs are moistened.
- Place dough on floured bread board and pat into two large cakes.
- Stack one on top of the other.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in 450* oven 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Split cake in half and spread bottom half with hot butter. Replace top and mound over with fresh strawberries. Cut cake in wedges and serve with thick cream.
I'm sorry we didn't like this. It was heavy as a rock. Despite that enormous amount of baking powder, it didn't really rise much at all. And the biscuit taste was very bitter. I have to wonder if the amount of baking powder is correct in this recipe.