1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is from The South Beach Diet Parties & Holidays Cookbook. My sister and I both have health problems and are looking for alternatives to traditional overwhelmingly heavy holiday dishes so that we can enjoy our family feasts with fewer worries. We haven't fixed it yet, but will edit this when we do! The book says that using a dense multi grain bread makes it even more nutritious if you want, and that you can substitute Bartlett or Anjou Pears for the Bosc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf whole grain bread, cut into cubes (about 12 oz of bread, around 4 cups cubed)
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bosc pear, coarsely chopped (may substitute Anjou or Bartlett)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Lightly oil with olive oil a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- 2Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- 3Remove sausage from casings and break into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, around 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread cubes.
- 4Return the skillet to the heat. Add 2 Tbsp of broth, and using a wooden spook, scrape any browned bits of sausage from the bottom of the skillet. Add the remaining 2 tsp oil, celery, and onion; cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add pear and sage; cook about 2 minutes more.
- 5Transfer vegetable mixture to the bowl with bread and sausage. Add the beaten egg and stir to combine ingredients. Add remaining broth, parsley, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- 6Spread stuffing evenly in baking dish. Bake until top is crispy and stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Beach Turkey Sausage and Pear Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.7 mg
- Sodium 207.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole grain bread