Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Appropriate for Phase I. In later phases, you can add cooked soba noodles. Substitute chopped scallions if you don't like cilantro.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add ginger and onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and red pepper flakes and bring to a low boil.
- Add cabbage and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, lime zest and lime juice.
- Cook just until shrimp turns pink.
- Serve hot sprinkled with cilantro or scallions.
I did not care for this at all. I had high hopes because I love shrimp and cilantro. Don't know what it was exactly, but I won't make it again.
Full of flavor and fast/easy to make. Won first place in our office soup contest.
I am not sure what happened. I didn't have any broth and the flavor is definitely missing something.