Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Phase 1. In effort to search for new alternative meals on this diet, this is a creation that is so delicious you may never go back to your favorite Mexican joint again.
- 1 lb ground turkey (93/7 recomended)
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
taco seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Condiments of your choice
- chopped onion, and
- chopped cilantro
- shredded low-fat cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- light sour cream
- Mix to combine spices for the taco seasoning. Heat skillet on medium heat and add oil. Add turkey and cook over medium to medium high heat while breaking up the meat with a spatula. After 3-4 minutes add chopped garlic and taco seasoning.
- Continue to cook until turkey is done.
- Usually you will want to use half the taco seasoning from the above recipe and save the remaining for another taco night. For stronger taco flavor use more seasoning.
- To prepare tacos, use leaf lettuce as a taco shell and add condiments as you choose.
You are not allowed to use 93/7 (fat lean ratio) ground turkey on phase 1 ! Only ground turkey breast is allowed.
This is honestly the best Phase 1 meal I have ever had! So Delicious and filling! I used 2 pounds of fat free ground turkey breast...there was more than enough seasoning for it to be spicy. I also added onions when I cooked up the turkey. My toppings were fat free cheese, fat free sour cream and salsa. I LOVED IT! IF YOU ARE A TACO EATER ON PHASE 1....MAKE THIS!!! The lettuce "shells" were good...kind of messy, but no fault of the recipe's...just me tearing them off the head wrong. :)
I've been having a tough time on Phase 1 and this recipe was a life saver! My husband even said we might not need shells for tacos anymore. The best part is that you don't feel like you're compromising taste for ingredients, it genuinely tastes great! The lettuce also adds a nice little crunch.