Back when I was "Beachin'" this was probably one of my favorite recipes. Very easy to make and such a nice change from a piece of meat and veggies. This is Phase 1 appropriate, and tastes very good topped with shredded 2% cheddar, a dollop of plain yogurt, and avocado slices. Even non-dieters will enjoy this thick and hearty soup. NOTE: To stay true to South Beach be sure and buy canned kidney beans with no added sugar and taco seasoning that is South Beach approved. I used Old El Paso.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2% cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
- avocado, slices (optional)
- 1Cook ground beef and onion in medium saucepan over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain.
- 2Mix in water, tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- 3Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Serve topped with cheese, yogurt and avocado slices if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Beach Taco Soup
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.4 mg
- Sodium 615.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 12.9 g