Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Back when I was "Beachin'" this was probably one of my favorite recipes. Very easy to make and such a nice change from a piece of meat and veggies. This is Phase 1 appropriate, and tastes very good topped with shredded 2% cheddar, a dollop of plain yogurt, and avocado slices. Even non-dieters will enjoy this thick and hearty soup. NOTE: To stay true to South Beach be sure and buy canned kidney beans with no added sugar and taco seasoning that is South Beach approved. I used Old El Paso.
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2% cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
- avocado, slices (optional)
- Cook ground beef and onion in medium saucepan over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain.
- Mix in water, tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese, yogurt and avocado slices if desired.