Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I created this recipe at a time when i am growing a tad weary of salads and side salads and wanted a great vegetable side dish. I have always loved my Aunt Norma's stewed squash, and keeping her souther style- recipe in mind I created this yummy south beach friendly version.
- 2 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced about 1/4 in thick
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning, like cavendar (optional)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Fry turkey bacon over medium-high heat in pan until crisp.
- Depending on the brand of turkey bacon you use you may need to coat the pan slightly with cooking spray.
- Remove bacon from pan and let drain on paper towels if oily, then crumble when cooled.
- In the same pan, over medium-high heat add olive oil and then onions.
- Sauté onions until they start to become translucent.
- Add garlic, and yellow squash.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes until squash is still crisp-tender.
- Add white wine and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add Splenda and Greek seasoning and stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or until your desired tenderness for squash.
- Just before serving, stir in crumbled bacon and serve.
This is a great way to prepare summer squash. Very tasty
My aunt who is doing the South Beach Diet, and my mother were visiting so I cooked this along with my low carb lemon caper chicken. Delightful! This will be a staple at our house! Thank you so much.
Very tasty...diet or no diet. Thanks for a great recipe we will enjoy again in the future.