Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I made up when I was in Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. My kids have begun to request it for supper!
- 4 bell peppers
- olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 stalk celery, chopped with top
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon spike seasoning (for zest)
- 28 ounces ground peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (or more)
- salt and pepper
- Wash the peppers, cut the tops off, and place in oiled glass dish.
- Cover and microwave the peppers for 5 minutes.
- Saute the veggies and ground turkey with a dollop of olive oil. (I chop up the usable remainders of the pepper tops as well).
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings. Cook for 3-4 minutes to evaporate some of the liquid.
- Stuff the peppers and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the cheese is toasted.
- Add Ins: you could add cooked rice or stir in extra cheese to the mixture before baking.
First off, I think the recipe needs to be revised because there is information and steps missing. It was not clear what kind of tomatoes to use (fresh? canned?) It tells us to cut the tops off the peppers but it never says to take out the seeds and membranes. And although worchestershire sauce was in the ingredient list the directions never told us when to add it. That being said, overall this was fairly tasty. I would suggest that if you try this recipe that you check your peppers in the microwave before the 5 minutes suggested. Mine were so overcooked by that time they were almost falling apart. Since I don't have Spike I substituted my own combo of herbs and spices and I added a little cheese in the meat mixture instead of putting it all on top. It was certainly fast and filling which is good when you are on SB phase one.
We didn't care for this at all and we love stuffed peppers. It was very bland and WATERY. The water really made it unappetizing. Sorry we didn't like it.
I could not have tomatoes because of the acid so I added mushroom soup and it still was very goooood! Thank you for the recipe..