Recipe by *Pixie*
An individual muffin that you can whip up fresh and hot for breakfast. No flour or sugar and only 3 net carbs!!! Plus 7 grams of fiber. This little beauty is based on a recipe yogi told me about in the low carb forum. I have tweaked it to not use butter and to be a bit lighter in texture than the original. This recipe is suitable for phase 1 of the South Beach diet (the 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds count as the portion of nuts allowed per day). I find these are very filling and prevent me from feeling starving all morning.
Top Review by Connie Lea
I made this because my doctor wants me to add more flax seed to my diet so I wasn't expecting too much, but this is awesome. I will definitely be making this again and again - maybe adding some fruit and/or nuts although it is very good as is. Thanks for a fabulous recipe. Just wanted to add an update. I took this recipe to my doctor and she said this is great. She told me that my cholesterol is 32 points too high and that if I eat this every day, it should lower it enough that I won't have to go on pills. So thank you, thank you, thank you. I hate taking pills. Just wanted to add - I've been using flavored yogurt and omitting the sugar. Yummy.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
- 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray (or use a muffin liner).
- Mix the egg and splenda until well combined (I use a fork), add the yogurt and blend well.
- Mix in the ground flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined.
- Pour in ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).
- These taste best served hot.